I just started a 3 week Elimination Diet yesterday! Thankfully, I don’t have any sinus issues or chronic upper respiratory issues or any health issues but I used to. Before I started being mindful of how I nourish and care for my body I used to lose my voice and have a sinus/upper respiratory infection at least twice every fall/winter. I also used to have really bad allergies! Watery eyes, sneezing, ugh… Not good!! I’ve healed all of these issues through changing my diet (which is just what one eats to nourish ourselves – no fad diets here). Although I did try many of the diets out there – none of them work long-term. Why? Because ‘dieting’ doesn’t teach one how to eat properly or how to be mindful of what is truly in the food we are eating.
Back to the ‘Elimination Diet’ I just started – I am doing it to clear up any lingering food sensitivities I may have and handle the few inches of bloating I’ve noticed in my belly. In my studies I became aware that many, many people who suffer from ‘common’ ailments – seasonal allergies, sinus/upper respiratory issues, asthma, skin problems, migraines, mood disorders, ADD/ADHD, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular and neurological diseases – may actually be experiencing food sensitivities and consequently having digestive issues. If I can identify what is causing the little bit of bloat and heal my GI (digestive) tract then I will be healthier. My body will be able to absorb the nutrients it needs more easily leading to a fitter and more beautiful mind and body! It all comes down to what/how we nourish ourselves!
Here we go!!
What to “Eliminate”?
- No Corn – in any form, no high fructose corn syrup, no corn on the cob and everything in between
- No Soy – tofu, tempeh, edamame, soy sauce… and NO Soy Lecithin!! If it comes from Soy – I don’t eat it.
- No Dairy – milk, yogurt, cheese (I LOVE cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yeah, No cheese) & no whey protein!! Whey comes from milk.
- No Eggs – another food I love…. But nope. No eggs!
- No Gluten – this one is pretty easy for me as I already stay away from anything with gluten. Gluten is a protein that is found in certain grains – wheat (pasta and bread, as well as many foods contain wheat), rye, barley, and triticale, bulgur, durum flour, farina, kamut, graham flour, semolina and spelt. Many additives contain gluten – yet, another reason to stay away from processed foods.
- No Peanuts – most people are sensitive to peanuts and don’t even know it! Non-organic peanuts are full of chemicals and organic peanuts often have mold.
I kicked this up a notch for me. I added these:
- No Sugar – I don’t add sugar to my tea or have a hankering for sweets but this is a good one for people who crave sweets. Opt for organic fruits to get your sweet tooth under control.
- No Caffeine – to me, this means no coffee. Try a green tea. It is detoxifying and encourages fat loss and a faster metabolism. ;)
I know some of you are thinking ‘that’s everything!! What do I eat now??” But there are plenty of other options!! Trust me!! There’s a whole world of foods out there that you can eat!
- Brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat noodles, rice/quinoa noodles
- Plenty of organic fruits and vegetables
- Lean, (organic) protein sources - fish, chicken, lean meats
- Add lots of spices – garlic, onions, ginger, turmeric (when these are raw, they are much more powerful :)
- Almond milk, Rice milk, Coconut water, Flax milk
- Almond butter, RAW
- Nuts and seeds - raw!! Chia, sunflower, almonds, flaxseeds
- Lots of water!!
Experiment!! Try new things and new ways of cooking and eating. You will reap the benefits. This diet is only for 3 weeks!! That’s such a small amount of time and you will learn so much about your body!!
Once the 3 weeks is up - slowly reintroduce the foods, one by one. Each ‘new food’ will be added back to your diet for 1 day and then back to the Elimination Cleanse. Pay attention to how your body reacts over the next 2-3 days. Do you feel sluggish? Bloating? Do you have more phlegm in your throat? Stuffy nose? Skin feel itchy? Does your brain feel numb? Headache? Analyze your body. Take notes. If you notice any reaction – remove that food completely from your diet. No symptoms? Then on the 5th day move onto the next food, repeating the same process. Again notice how your body reacts. Continue this process. Once completed you will know what foods you should avoid altogether in order to feel and look your absolute best!!
I’m excited to see what wonderful changes are possible for me and my body during the next few weeks! I look forward to hearing wonderful news from those of you who choose to take on this challenge!! Remember, your food is your medicine!
Schedule a Self-discovery Session with me at https://www.timetrade.com/book/B6X4N