It is winter & the holidays…so my skin can look a little dehydrated at times. I exfoliate. I moisturize. But the cold, winter air & the increase in alcohol consumption during the Holiday season is adding to my skin’s dehydration. I make an appointment to get a facial – microdermabrasion & a peel. The esthetician re-confirms the diagnosis. Slight bit of dullness & dehydration. What to do?? I did get the treatment & always they try to upsell you. Out of the 4 things she recommended I bought the Hydration serum. I figured I can’t go wrong with adding that to my skin care regimen. But then I got to thinking.. there has to be more to it then buying more creams! So I did some further digging & started adding certain foods to my diet. My job is to be on camera, whether it is for auditions or for actual, paid, projects, healthy, glowing skin is necessary! I know there is always the Make-up Artist & airbrushing but for me I prefer to keep my skin GORGEOUS!! The natural way ;)
These are some foods I found really make a difference:
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of Water - throughout the day. This one is a no-brainer. We all know to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated but often we are busy with our responsibilities & forget. Our bodies can be as much as 75% water. Our lungs are 83% water. Heart? 73% Our skin? 64% water. Kinda puts you’re your forgetfulness into perspective, huh? Our bodies NEED water to work. Help it along by keeping a non-plastic water bottle with you at all times & refill it as you drink it throughout the day.
- Vitamin C!!! & by vitamin C I do not mean popping pills!! I mean eating your vitamin C. Blackberries. Strawberries. Blueberries. Oranges. Papayas. Broccoli. Kiwis. Sweet potatoes. What you put into your body will become every cell in your body. Skin. Hair. Nails. Lungs. So eat up! :)
- Selenium! It’s an antioxidant – any time you see ‘anti-oxidant’ just remember that it just a fancy way of saying it PROTECTS your cells from damage. It works well with vitamins C & E (Don’t worry…I’m going to get to Vitamin E) It is essential for the immune system & for proper thyroid function. Eat fish like cod, tuna, halibut, salmon or shellfish – scallops, shrimp. Button mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, barley & mustard seeds are some other sources of selenium. Brazil nuts are also an excellent source – just 4 of these give you your daily dose!
- Vitamin E! It protects your skin from damage & promotes the growth of healthy skin. Foods to eat are avocados, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, almonds, spinach, & swiss chard.
- Zinc is another essential nutrient for healthy skin. It helps repair skin damage & keeps skin soft & supple. Foods that are rich in zinc are: fish, poultry, lean red meat (grass fed), and shellfish. Non-animal foods rich in zinc are: nuts, seeds – sesame &pumpkin, whole grains, cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms & spinach.
- Healthy Fats!! Yes, I said it healthy fats. These are the fats that are found in fish, avocados, nuts & seeds. They are absolutely, essential for your body. Extra virgin organic olive oil. Walnut oil. Flaxseed oil. Nuts: your choice! Seeds: pick your favorites. Fish: just eat them!
You’ve probably noticed that a lot of the foods can switch categories. That’s why it is better to EAT your vitamins rather than pop pills every morning. Your body needs the complete set of vitamins & nutrients in a piece of broccoli or a strawberry or avocado. The more you eat foods that nourish your skin, the more you will not only look great but you will feel the difference. When I eat more of these foods I have more energy. I feel more alert! I have actually remembered whether or not I locked the door or turned off the stove!! Yes, I too have had those moments! ;) My hair grows fuller & stronger. My skin looks glow-y & fresh. My nails grow faster. Your body is one complete organism. Our cells communicate with each other. The better we take care of ourselves through eating real (as in from Mother Nature – cause if it was made or altered in a lab or body no longer knows what to do with it), nourishing, complete foods, the more our bodies will not only look amazing but will FEEL great too! So LOOK & FEEL amazing!! Eat up & enjoy your life!!!!
**Schedule your complimentary Self-Discovery Session NOW at https://timetrade.com/book/B6X4N