It’s the middle of winter and many of us have put on some of that ‘winter insulation’... And if you’re like any of my people, you’re already stressing about how to get rid of it!! :) That seems to be the rhythm of the seasons. Ever wonder why this is pretty much *universal*?? It’s because of our physiology. Our bodies are truly amazing instruments and they KNOW what you need to function well. However, this doesn’t mean that every craving is accurate or that we have to put on weight every winter. All that we need to do is understand what foods will keep our bodies healthy and fit!
Winter doesn’t have to wreak havoc on your waistline!
Ever wonder why you don’t want anything to do with a salad in the dead of winter?? It’s because raw foods have a cooling effect on your body, which the opposite of what your body needs at this time of year!
What to do??
These are my top 5 ways to keep you warm and slim! (½ plate-full of veggies, quality protein and grains are a must!) Oh and limiting the food-like substances!! **Food-like Substances - white bread, ‘whole wheat’ bread, white rice, processed foods, sodas, refined salt and refined sugars. #CountChemicalsNOTCalories
1. Drink Ginger Tea with Raw Honey, at every meal - Ginger root has a warming effect on the body and has some wonderful therapeutic benefits. Ginger boosts the immune system and aids in digestion, to name a couple benefits. Raw honey (flecks and all!!), added once the tea is at a drinkable temperature, will keep its enzymes active.
2. Make Quinoa and Wild Rice your Besties - Wild rice is rich in protein and antioxidants, working to boost energy and immunity. Quinoa has a bunch of nutrients; supports a healthy heart, aids in digestion and can reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure. Both work to give your body the heartiness it craves this time of year!
3. Garlic, Onions and Butter (that's right I said BUTTER, Grass-fed, of course :) - these are a delicious starting to any of your meals. Garlic and onions, members of the allium family, support healthy cholesterol levels, boosting immunity and lower inflammation in the body. Grass-fed butter is delicious!! AND it is loaded with fat-soluble vitamins your body NEEDS! It supports a healthy thyroid and immune system.
4. Choose Fennel, Mustard Greens and Water for your Salad - These are some of the few greens that have a warming effect on the body. You can mix them with some carrots, radishes and onions; use a dressing with olive oil and turmeric and add a sprig of basil.
5. Snack on Organic Almonds and Unsulphured Organic Dried Papaya - Almonds are loaded with vitamins and healthy fats and surprisingly organic papaya is a warming food. Dried cherries and dates, organic and unsulphured, are other options for a healthy snack you can take with you on the go!
Roast, stir-fry or sautee kale and chinese cabbage, broccoli as your baseline greens for lunch & dinner, pick your favorite organic, grass-fed animal protein or lentils/your choice of beans as your protein and you’re set to go on a nutritious meal that will keep your body warm and keep your waistline intact!
If you found this post helpful, feel free to share it with your friends and share your progress too! & if you’re up for it - schedule a Self-discovery Session with me at https://www.timetrade.com/book/B6X4N