I'm disturbed. I was perusing Instagram, as I often do, looking for things to make me smile or laugh or inspire me, when I saw an image that deeply disturbed me and made me question what I, as a woman, will do in the name of "beauty". The medi-spa in question was advertising fillers to treat under eye circles & even said they were caused by lack of sleep, allergies, poor diet & lifestyle related issues. The only bit of truth in their post! I will admit that I have looked into fillers for my under eye circles but I have never jumped on board the injectibles-train because I LOVE my face too much!!! Yes, I love MY face. It's mine. I was born with it (well, minus my minor nose-’correction’ by a fabulous surgeon;)) but other than that, no needles have been used to "enhance" my face. I mean, what if the sucker f*cks up??! Then what??
I will admit to what I use to 'enhance' my skin here though.
It's called NUTRITION.
I have under eye circles - that I've contemplated getting "fixed" BUT I know the only real fix is for me to reflect on what I'm doing to my body and CHANGE my habits. Sure, some of us are blessed with better genetics from the get go (Thank you Mami! :)) but regardless of whether you were "born with it" there are things you can do to help your skin out & specifically to address under eye circles. We are all aging - but don't you want to age slower?? More gracefully??
4 Skin faux-pas
2. Refined/Processed Foods
4. Chemicals - anything labeled "diet/low-fat/non-fat/fat-free/zero calorie/etc
You can read more on these here.
What causes Under Eye Circles??
Iron or B12 deficiency - anemia
Poor vitamin and mineral absorption (underlying gut condition)
Nasal Congestion/Sinus Infection
Lifestyle Factors - excess alcohol consumption, poor nutrition, too many caffeinated drinks, cigarette smoking, lack of exercise and stress
So, what do I use for my skin (and under eye circles)??
1. Lots and lots of greens & colorful veggies! I aim for 1/2 plate full of veggies for lunch and dinner.
2. Lots of organic berries and fresh fruits. I aim for 3-4 portions every day. I also make it a point to load up on superfoods like açai, blueberries & goji berries.
3. Maca and Cacao are staples in my daily routine. Maca helps the body manage stress better and helps maintain a healthy hormonal balance. Cacao a.k.a REAL chocolate is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. I have found 1 tbsp of each in my smoothies to make a difference.
4. Chlorella tablets are my besties. I'm slightly anemic. Most ladies are borderline due to our monthly visitor. Chlorella helps build healthy red blood cells, supports the liver and a healthy gut to name a few of its benefits. I take 5-6 tablets daily.
5. Sleeeeeep!! I have a hard time falling asleep & it's due to my crazy schedule. I run 2 businesses. My mind is constantly going!! So I know I have to support my body in this area. I have added a quality Ashwaganda supplement & 1 tbsp of tart cherry concentrate in a little water at bedtime.
And just so there is no misunderstanding here. I am not saying that peels, IPL treatments, facials and the like are unnecessary. I use these tools too! I AM saying that a healthy diet and lifestyle are the foundation for good skin. Everything else is gravy and their effectiveness will increase with proper nutrition and hydration.
Oh & be wary of the "side effects" to my plan. They are as follows: increased energy, improved mood, releasing excess weight and inches, improved stress levels, increased ability to focus and concentrate and a natural love and appreciation for every bit of your body. Enjoy!! ;) xxA
If you found this post helpful, feel free to share it with your friends and share your progress too!! & if you're up for it - schedule a Self-Discovery Session with me here.